1 October 2017
The owner of a café on London Road in Sheffield has been fined for breaking health and safety laws.
Herman Mustafa, of Cemetery Road, was found guilty of failing to comply with improvement notices which required him to provide certificates to show that his gas burner and electrical wiring were safe at the café he owned, Dubai Café.
Appearing before Sheffield Magistrates’ Court, on September 26, Mr Mustafa was fined £300 for each offence, ordered to pay £1,200 in legal costs and a £30 victim surcharge, totalling £1830.
The improvement notices were served after officers from Sheffield City Council’s Health and Safety Enforcement team visited the café in October last year.
During the visit officers became concerned by the appearance of a twin-ring gas burner which was dirty and lacked any records of maintenance. Concerns were also raised with respect to the electrical wiring.
In April, an engineer issued a gas safe certificate but health and safety officers questioned the engineer about its validity. Following these discussions the engineer changed his position and returned to shut off the gas supply and issue a warning notice.
A prohibition notice, preventing the owner from using the gas burner, was also served on the owner. Sheffield City Council are continuing their investigations into the café.
This is the second time Mr Mustafa has been prosecuted. On April 25 he admitted the charge of failing to prevent smoking in a public place and was ordered by the same court to pay a total of £1,880 in fines and costs.
Councillor Bryan Lodge, Cabinet Member for Environment, said: “I am pleased the courts have fined the owner for failing to take action.
“We will always take a tough stance against those who ignore health and safety laws. Sheffielders should be able to enjoy restaurants and café’s safe in the knowledge they are kept clean and risk free.
“It is disappointing to see business owners consistently flouting the law and our officers will continue to monitor and enforce legislation.”