2 March 2018
For a third day Sheffielders are battling with extreme weather and council services are working around the clock with partners to help keep Sheffield moving and working.
- Streets Ahead – the highway contract run by Amey on behalf of Sheffield City Council is working to reduce the risk of snow and ice forming on the highway. In addition, we are encouraging people to make use of the grit bins provided to help clear ice and snow from pavements and side roads.
- The council’s housing team is prioritising the most urgent council housing repairs today. The teams are rearranging non urgent repairs with customers directly. Some customers are contacting us about frozen pipes. If your pipes are frozen we are urging you to follow advice from the water companies
- The council is helping vulnerable people today in the severe weather, if you are worried about a vulnerable person you know please contact the council using 0114 2734567.
- Some schools are closed in the city today, but many are open or opening slightly later than normal.
- Council partners Veolia, however, always aim to collect bins as normal. Bad weather conditions on side roads has made it difficult to collect some bins. Veolia are asking residents put their bins out as usual. We may not be able to collect it at the normal time but will aim to collect it as soon as possible. This weekend we will be attempting to collect missed bins, dependant on conditions.
More information about roads, bins and schools during wintry weather can be found at www.sheffield.gov.uk/winter or follow on twitter @sheffcouncil and Facebook @oursheff
For the latest gritting updates and main road camera images follow Streets Ahead on Twitter at @sccstreetsahead
We are encouraging all residents to sign up for information on council services via email. You can do this here: www.sheffield.gov.uk/alerts