21 September 2016
In support of Gas Safety Week (19-25 September 2016), Sheffield City Council are spot checking businesses in areas across the city to make sure they are gas safe.
Inspectors from the Health and Safety Enforcement Team are visiting businesses in Sheffield, with a focus on food outlets, to make checks on the maintenance of gas installations and carbon monoxide monitoring.
Poorly maintained gas appliances can cause gas leaks, fires, explosions and carbon monoxide poisoning and the council want to educate businesses about these dangers and make sure they are compliant. Those not complying with the law will be given an opportunity to make the installations safe before enforcement action is taken.
Councillor Bryan Lodge, Cabinet Member for Environment at Sheffield City Council said: “Gas can be a very dangerous substance, and we need people to realise the importance of using professional certified gas engineers for installations and maintenance. If people cut corners the consequences can be devastating.
“We want to raise awareness of the dangers, which include explosions, carbon monoxide poisoning and sometimes death, and to make sure businesses know that we will take action if they don’t comply. Our team work hard to help businesses meet the standards set out by law and are happy to advise those who have concerns or are unsure.”
By law, only Gas Safe registered engineers can work on gas appliances. There have been 22 deaths and nearly 1,000 gas-related injuries in the last three years. An estimated quarter of a million illegal gas jobs are carried out every year by unregistered workers, who do not have the skills or the qualifications to do the job safely. It’s therefore vital to make sure your engineer is registered with the Gas Safe Register.
For Gas Safety Week organisations from across the UK work together, to encourage all gas consumers to arrange an annual gas safety check. This year they are trying to encourage the public to reach out to their friends and family, be they elderly parents or a disabled neighbour, to ensure they are gas safe.
Cllr Lodge added “It’s not just businesses that need to be vigilant; everyone must make sure their homes are safe. I would encourage people to speak to their relatives and friends, particularly the vulnerable and help them find out more about an annual gas safety check because with gas you can’t see it and you can’t always smell it.”
For more information on Gas Safety week, or to find a local engineer visit: www.GasSafeRegister.co.uk or call 0800 408 5500.
To contact the council’s Health and Safety Enforcement Team call Health.firstname.lastname@example.org or call 0114 2734415.