10 February 2017
Sheffield City Council is letting families and carers of people with dementia know about a range of new day care and pre-bookable respite care services that will replace those currently provided at Hurlfield View in Gleadless.
The authority is sending letters to families and carers with details of the new services and how they can book a planned stay. Council officers will also be contacting families again over the next few weeks to talk about these alternative options. The services are spread across the city and for some people this might mean care closer to home.
The new services will be available from 1 April but booking for pre-planned respite stays will be possible from Monday, 13 February by calling the council on 0114 273 6573.
All of the replacement services are currently assessed as ‘Good’ by the Care Quality Commission (the same rating as Hurlfield View). The day care and respite care providers already have experience and expertise in supporting people with dementia.
Councillor Cate McDonald, Cabinet Member for Health and Social Care at Sheffield City Council, explained: “At the heart of this announcement are people with dementia who are facing a big change. I know this will be a stressful time for the families of people who are used to going to Hurlfield View. However I want to reassure everyone that staff from Hurlfield View, council social workers and the providers of the replacement services will all be working together over the next month to help make the change smoothly.”
New care arrangements::
Day Care Centres
The new day care centre places will be offered at:
- Castelayn, Sheffcare, Leighton Drive, S14 1ST
- Cotleigh, Sheffcare, Four Well Drive, S12 4JB
- Deerlands, Sheffcare, Margetson Road, S5 9LS
- Springwood, Sheffcare, Herries Road, S5 8TN
- Knowle Hill, Sheffcare, Streetfields, S20 4TB
- Westbourne House, Care2Care, Dykes Hall Road, S6 4GQ
- Sorby House, Care2Care, Spital Hill, S4 7LG
Day services will include transport to and from home and will include meals and refreshments. All the day centres have also said they are able to offer day care to private fee payers, should people wish to buy additional support.
Short Term Residential Respite Care
A total of 16 rooms for short-term residential respite care have been arranged in the locations shown in the table below. 12 of the rooms will be permanently used for pre-bookable periods of short term care, and 4 rooms will be available across the Sheffcare group for use in an emergency.
- Castelayn Care Home, Sheffcare, 2 Leighton Drive, S14 1ST
- Cotleigh Care Home, Sheffcare, 2 Four Well Drive, S12 4JB
- Deerlands Care Home, Sheffcare, 1 Margetson Road, S5 9LS
- Springwood Care Home, Sheffcare, 2 Herries Road, S5 8TN
- Knowle Hill Care Home, Sheffcare, 1 Streetfields, S20 4TB
- Burnt Tree Croft Care Home, Sheffcare, 2 St Philips Road, S3 7JY
- Paddock Hill Care Home, Sheffcare, 2 Gleadless Road, S2 2BT
- Housteads Care Home, Sheffcare, 2 Richmond Park Grove, S13 8HX
- Wood Hill House Care Home, Horizon Care, 2 Grimesthorpe Road, S4 8LE
Relatives and carers who would like to discuss their relatives specific circumstances can contact their Care Manager or Social Worker or the Sheffield City Council Adult Social Care Team on: 0114 273 4567.
*Photo credit: More Good Foundation, Flickr