Tuesday 2 December 2014
Special bus services will run in Sheffield on Boxing Day and New Year’s Day for a festive fare of just £1 per journey.
The First and Stagecoach bus services, run as part of Sheffield Bus Partnership and funded by Sheffield City Council, will operate on selected routes on Boxing Day from 7am until around 6.30pm and on New Year’s Day between 8am and 5.30pm.
In the weeks leading up to Christmas the Partnership representatives will be handing out free information in the city centre to show how easy it is to get to the main destinations across the city and offering the chance to enter a free festive prize draw.
Passengers can plan their journeys, find live disruption information and updates to scheduled services by:
• Using the online tools at travelsouthyorkshire.com
• Following Travel South Yorkshire on Twitter @TSYalerts
• Calling Traveline on 01709 51 51 51
Councillor Leigh Bramall, the Council’s Cabinet Member for Business, Skills and Development and Sheffield City Region Combined Authority Transport Committee Vice Chair said: “We’re delighted to work together with our partners to offer great value bus services on Boxing Day and New Year’s Day. The extra services mean that buses will run every day over the festive period, except on Christmas Day, giving people a convenient way to get where they need to be.
“We know how important it is that people without access to private transport can get out and see friends and family at Christmas; that is why we have worked hard to try and maintain a bus service over the Christmas period at an affordable fare.”
The Sheffield Bus Partnership was launched two years ago and in that time over 1.57 million extra bus journeys have been made in the city. There have been 4.9 million (7.9 per cent) more fare paying passengers as punctuality and reliability of the services exceeded the targets.
Over £4.5 million has been invested in infrastructure, there are 166 newer buses on the roads and reduced fares are benefitting at least 60 per cent of adult fare paying passengers.
Ben Gilligan, Managing Director for First in South Yorkshire, said: “The services we ran on Boxing Day and New Year’s Day, last year were well used and we are pleased to be able to provide these important services once again.”
Paul Lynch, Managing Director for Stagecoach in Sheffield, said: “We understand that our customers still like to get around using the bus over Christmas, particularly on Boxing Day and the Christmas sales period. With this in mind partners continue to work together to provide the people of Sheffield with a convenient, realistic travel option.”
Revised bus timetables will operate in Sheffield from Wednesday 24 December 2014 until Friday 2 January 2015. In many cases, services on weekdays will follow their usual Saturday timetables.
Sheffield Bus Partnership brings together Sheffield City Council, local bus operators First South Yorkshire, Stagecoach in Sheffield, Sheffield Community Transport and South Yorkshire Passenger Transport Executive (SYPTE) in a bid to improve the city’s bus offer.
For more information visit travelsouthyorkshire.com/Christmas.
Notes for editors:
– Sheffield City Council is funding (£37,000) the provision of bus services on Boxing Day and New Year’s Day in Sheffield, with a special maximum £1 single fare.
– Meadowhall Shopping Centre is funding (£2,500) an extra hour of early morning Boxing Day bus services to support the earlier opening of the store, to help staff and customers.
– The maximum £1 fare will be available on all bus services operating in Sheffield on Boxing Day and New Year’s Day. Concessions, TravelMaster and operator tickets are valid as normal.
– First and Stagecoach will operate a 49 bus network (comprising of 23 individual routes) on Boxing Day between 06.00 and 18.50 and First will operate a 20 bus network (comprising of 11 individual routes) on New Year’s Day between 07.30 and 18.30.
– Supertram will operate every day apart from Christmas Day. Amended festive timetables will be in place over the Christmas and New Year period.
– Public transport timetables and travel information for the festive period will be available online at travelsouthyorkshire.com/christmas from 24 November and in Travel Information Centres from 8 December.
For further information please contact Warwick Toone, Media Relations Officer on 07764 659182 or 0114 205 3546. E-mail: email@example.com. For out of office media enquiries ring 07711 153995.