28 April 2017
The UK’s fastest growing cinema operator, the Light Cinema experience, has recently opened its doors in Sheffield city centre – a move expected to accelerate footfall to an area already enjoying a 21 per cent increase in visitors.
Part of a decade-long multi-million pound redevelopment of The Moor, the cinema is the latest addition to a growing retail and leisure offer from this popular city centre location.
The Moor, also home to The Moor Market – housing over 90 independent businesses, is now attracting on average over 53,000 shoppers every week – a figure that has steadily been increasing over recent years. Located in The Moor’s newest retail and leisure complex, The Light Cinema, along with restaurants Zizzi, Pizza Express and GBK, with retailers Primark and Specsavers, will cement The Moors’ growing reputation as a visitor destination.
As well as bringing the latest in modern-cinema experience to Sheffield (with nine screens and 935 reclining seats, a contemporary bar – equipped with piano, locally sourced ice-cream and craft beer), the Light Cinema has created 37 new customer service jobs here in the city.
Richard Eyre, Sheffield City Council’s Head of City Centre Management, said: “We are very happy to welcome the Light Cinema to Sheffield and importantly to The Moor which, thanks to investment in the public realm and some truly innovative architecture like we’ve seen with the purpose-built Moor Market, is experiencing a genuine resurgence. It’s attracting events, businesses, restaurants, retailers and bars. As The Moor offer continues to grow – so do the numbers of visitors and shoppers.”
Phil Huby, Head of Retail Asset Management, UK Aberdeen Asset Management, which own The Moor, said of the latest leisure and retail outlet: “This new landmark city centre building is the second phase of our development and we are delighted to welcome the cinema and restaurants who will bring a day and night-time leisure offering to Moor visitors. The retail and leisure names that have already joined the Moor are enjoying increased visitor numbers – footfall is up 21.2% on the same period as last year.”
CEO of the Light Cinema Keith Pullinger, said: “We are delighted to be joining The Moor and becoming part of an area that is a growing destination for visitors. We look to create a cinema environment with plenty of atmosphere and personality, and are glad the Sheffield audiences are noticing a different cinema experience. We want people to use the café bar area as a place to relax and spend time meeting family and friends.”
The Light will be showing the latest blockbusters, independent films, live opera, ballet, theatre and classical, rock and pop concerts.
Building work for the third phase of The Moor redevelopment is due to begin this year and has already attracted the interest of a well-known fashion retailer looking for an anchor store, and a leisure facility. Full details will be announced in the coming months. To get up to speed with all of the latest developments in Sheffield please visit www.welcometosheffield.co.uk/business/developments.
Notes to Editors
- For further information, or for contact details, email email@example.com
- For out of hours media enquiries please ring 07711 153995.
- To get up to speed with the latest developments in Sheffieldhttp://www.welcometosheffield.co.uk/business/developments
- For all the latest news from Sheffield City Council, visit the Sheffield Newsroom media hub at sheffieldnewsroom.co.uk
- Full programing for Sheffield:http://www.sheffield.lightcinemas.co.uk/
- The Light Cinema is Europe’s fastest growing cinema operator with 53 screens to date in the UK and Germany
- The Light’s UK expansion plan is well under way with seven cinemas open to date and 20 planned in the next four years.
- The Light is a high-level entertainment venue based on the best hospitality service. The emphasis is on providing quality service and engaging with customers and the local community.