15 January 2016
A Streets Ahead streetlighting team has helped save an elderly man after his house set on fire.
Adrian Brady, Ian Fletcher, Mick Hague and Paul Knowles work for Sheffield City Council’s contractor Amey, and were on Totley Brook Close when they spotted smoke coming from a nearby house.
Ian, from Chapeltown, said: “I was working high on one of the nearby street lights when I spotted smoke coming from the house. We called the fire brigade and rushed over to the house, where an elderly gentleman was trying to get out of his home surrounded by black smoke. We managed to move him away from the house to safety and a few minutes later the house went up in flames.
“The gentleman was obviously in shock so the team stayed with him until the fire brigade arrived.”
Graeme Symonds, Streets Ahead’s Network Director, said: “The team was in the right place at the right time and we’re extremely proud of them. We will of course be recognising their efforts and commending them. Well done to the team.”
Cllr Tony Downing, Cabinet Advisor for Transport and Environment, said: “I would like to congratulate the team on their bravery in rescuing this gentleman. Clearly their quick thinking in difficult conditions made all the difference.”
The fire service attended the scene after they were made aware of the fire.