17 November 2015

A tenant who grew drugs and a tenant who made his neighbours’ lives a misery have been evicted from their council homes under new powers designed to tackle anti-social behaviour.

Hade Delan, age 40 of Plowright Mount in Gleadless Valley, was found with 29 mature cannabis plants and 12 heat lamps at his home, with his electricity meter bypassed meaning he was getting electricity for free. He was evicted after the council gained a possession order at Sheffield County Court on Thursday, 5 November. This followed his earlier conviction of one count of production of cannabis at Sheffield Magistrates Court on 3 February, to which he pleaded guilty.

The second tenant evicted is Yusuf Yusaf, age 26 of Bressingham Close in Burngreave. Yusaf was evicted after the council gained a possession order from Sheffield County Court on 14 September, after South Yorkshire Police gained a closure order for the property on 19 June 2015. The closure order was granted at Sheffield Magistrates Court on the grounds of anti-social behaviour.

This is the first time the council has gained possession orders for council homes on compulsory grounds since the new Anti-Social Behaviour Act 2014 came in last October. The new powers mean that once the Court is satisfied that a tenant, or someone who lives with or visits them, has already been convicted of serious criminal offences it must grant a possession order. This can help speed up evictions in these cases.

Councillor Jayne Dunn, cabinet member for neighbourhoods at Sheffield City Council, said: “We will not tolerate people using our premises to support criminal or anti-social activity which has a detrimental effect on their neighbours and the community. This is simply not acceptable and we will not put up with it.

“The new powers granted under the Anti-Social Behaviour Act means the court process can be quicker and we are able to evict people sooner where they are guilty of criminal activity. We are working with the police on this.

“Law abiding citizens have the right to live peacefully in their homes and we will do everything we can to make sure this happens.”

Call 101 to report anti-social behaviour or visit your local housing office. Reports can be made anonymously.