1 March 2018
Day 2: Further update on roads, bins, schools and council housing repairs
Sheffield is in the grip of a second day of extreme weather, snowfall and low temperatures are expected to continue throughout the day, council services are still working around the clock with partners to help keep Sheffield moving and working.
- Streets Ahead – the highway contract run by Amey on behalf of Sheffield City Council is working to reduce the risk of snow and ice forming on the highway. In addition, we are encouraging people to make use of the grit bins provided to help clear ice and snow from pavements and side roads.
- The council’s housing team is prioritising the most urgent council housing repairs today. The teams are rearranging non urgent repairs with customers directly.
- The council is helping vulnerable people today in the severe weather, if you are worried about a vulnerable person you know please contact the council using 0114 2734567.
- Most schools across the city have closed today.
- Council partners Veolia always aim to collect bins as normal in bad weather, however conditions on side roads have made it difficult to collect some bins. Veolia are asking residents put their bins out as usual. We may not be able to collect it at the normal time but will aim to collect it as soon as possible.
More information about roads, bins and schools during wintry weather can be found at www.sheffield.gov.uk/winter or follow on twitter @sheffcouncil.
For the latest gritting updates and main road camera images follow Streets Ahead on Twitter at @sccstreetsahead
We are encouraging all residents to sign up for information on council services via email. You can do this at www.sheffield.gov.uk/alerts